The Superorder of the Commelinoids consists of the Orders Poales, Arecales, Commelinales and Zingiberales in the Apg3 classification. The Order of Poales is split here in the 3 groups: Bromeliaceae, Cyperaceae and associated families and Poaceae and associated families.
Dasypogonaceae is a small family in the Commelinoids of uncertain position. It is placed in Subphase 3.
The Order Zingiberales is treated as one family Zingiberaceae, including Musaceae, Heliconiaceae, Strelitziaceae, Lowiaceae, Cannaceae, Marantaceae, Costaceae.
The Order of Poales is split up in 3 Groups, Families:
1. Cyperaceae, including Ecdeiocoleaceae, Juncaceae, Mayacaceae, Rapateaceae.
Thurniaceae, Typhaceae, Xyridaceae.
2. Poaceae, including the small families Anarthriaceae, Centrolepidaceae, Ecdeiocoleaceae, Flagellariaceae, Joinvilleaceae, Restionaceae.
From the point of view of the Plant theory it would be more elegant to put Commelinoids to the level of Order and the including Orders to the level of Families. Commelinoids could be named Commelinales but that would give confusion with the Commelinales Order. The Order Commelinales is in the view of the Plant theory better treated as one family Commelinaceae.
3. Dasypogonaceae: Baxteria, Calectasia, Dasypogon, Kingia
4. Arecaceae: palms
5. Zingiberales: Zingiber, Curcuma
6. Commelinales: Commelinaceae, Hanguanaceae, Haemodouraceae, Philydraceae, Pontederiaceae